Wow....lol....I say that a lot these days.....
The first 5 minutes leaving Merrit BC should have spoken volumes....we hit the highway.....and up we go...three lanes...wonder why..... we are in the curb lane....and the diesel banger is banging. For 20 minutes we climb. I am being passed by every car left right and centre. Once we hit the first level spot I understand why the Coquilla is so dangerous...and this is July. There are warning signs and STOP arms that drop on the HWY.
It is 249 km to Surrey, our destination for the day and half way along our adventure....do the math....comfortable...three hours right....ahhhhh not so.
This is a major climb hwy....and worse....a huge drop highway.
At one point we drop 22 km at 9 degree's....the warnings are many and I now know why the truckers get out to check the brakes.
I used the J brake on the dually every chance I had along the adventure....and never had an issue...she will drop to 20 km per hour without touching the brakes..... this hill I am monitoring the gauges as we descend....the water temp starts to rise. I have never experienced this....but given our weight and the drop it only makes sense.
Our three hour comfortable ride takes a smooth 5 and a half hours.....and a couple of those minutes were knuckle minutes....but an incredible and beautiful ride.
The biggest change were in the mountains....they rounded out a little....but still huge and majestic.
We arrived at Jay Ann's place...I decided to drive with the condo right to the house.....lucky there was a sixty foot spot right in front of the house....
I dropped off Leah and the kids...and was assisted by Nana and Papa to set up the trailer at Peace Arch trailer camp...about 9 km away.
Jay Ann and Mike put on a spread for dinner....about 15 lbs of coho salmon...and matching potatoes.... delicious.
This is the first time we met Mike and his girls....Brinn and Brooke.
And Char
Everyone clicked...great time.
Liam and Alexa are gems....Nothing lasts in the house....the 15 lbs vanished....it was fantastic, Thanks Mike and Jay Ann.
Sunday we returned in the morning to a gourmet breakfast.... and after went for a walk on Cresent Beach
and then a quick drive to White Rock.
I have to admit BC is beautiful. During our walk we stopped for some ice cream...eventually making it back early after noon.
For dinner we were joined by John and Jane and their children Angus and Eleanor. The kids got along great which gave us adults time to chat and tell stories...it was a wonderful evening.
Char...was that you?.......


No comments:
Post a Comment