Saturday, 6 July 2013

At Tunnel Mountain, Banff Alberta

Wow.....we made it. We are at Tunnel Mountain Court Campsite in Banff, Alberta.


This will be home for the next six nights.  



Leah fly's in tomorrow morning..... The kids have not missed a day asking when Mommy will be here. We are all excited for her to join our adventure....I know I am.



I'm going to go backwards today.....this camp site is truly incredible. When you look out from the camp site...we are surrounded by mountains.... Not small ones...but huge ones....ones with snow still on them. Truly an incredible sight.

The drive from Calgary was unbelievable....we started to climb....a steady climb.... But then you could see them....at the start them resembled clouds...but as wet got closer they where full blown mountains...this is what we came to see....Karlee started to enjoy the sights... Beating me to..."look at these".....each peak higher....and brighter than the last.
Tyler....slept.

It was also amazing to see the damaged caused by the rain storms from last week....low areas still showing signs of flooding and area's covered with rock and mud slides. There is a ton of attention to main the Hwy for travelling.

We witnesses very little driving interruptions from the recent storms.

This morning we left Drumheller, Alberta. Arriving late on Thursday we deviated from the Trans. Canada Hwy.  As we were driving one could see for 200 to 300 kilometres of country side. Farm after farm...one with approximately 10,000 acres of canola...the next....15,000 acres of wheat.


All of a sudden....the sign states. Trucks over 14,000 GVW stop and check your brakes.... I had the brakes for ATONOFUN replaced just before we left...when I saw the drop on the Hwy.....even I became concerned.


The view was spectacular,.....it was like the road dropped out of the sky....but more important was the view....I related it to the Grand Canyon.....absolutely incredible.

The dually air brakes kicked is....the incline was nothing I have ever experienced before....ATONOFUN dropped from 80 km to about 20 km/hr....funny thing....the grade was so steep that the truck temperature actually went up.....then the last turn....a caution sign....500 feet STOP.

Nice...we made it....found the camp site....then this morning before departure we took some photo's.



Did I mention.....Banff is spectacular.

2 comments:

  1. Andy, where was the steep hill located?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog...and yes photos would be great. By now Leah should be there....enjoy....the neighbourhood misses you already!

    ReplyDelete