Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Mt Rushmore....KOA

Leaving Wyoming in the morning left us an option...stay on HWY 94....a major HWY into Rapid City, South Dakota....and then back down HWY 16 into Mt Rushmore.....

or

when you look at the map...HWY 16 is a b- line straight into Mt. Rushmore from Moorecroft, Wyoming...we decided to take the b- line....

LOL....it was a straight smooth line...until we hit South Dakota....I remember reading something on RV.Net....but it didn't hit me until two hours later on HWY 16.

The signs are very clear...."25 miles per hour for the next 14 miles....no shoulders"

I guess when you have to drop into a canyon and then climb out asphalt is at a premium....

But this was not the issue...after one mile into the decent....a park ranger truck across the road...full lights. We were the first rig. I put on the four ways...got out....and then I saw the issue....a double trailer fuel tanker transport truck....fortunately the truck and trailer made the corner....the cub trailer was not so lucky...it was up side down in the ditch...still attached.  I could smell the fuel that was leaking from the tanker. I walked up and ID'd myself with my badge...I don't know if it helped but the ranger said go around...you won't have much time as we are closing down the highway....we made it with minutes to spare.... it was tight but I wondered what we were doing on this stretch of hwy....Leah laughed as she described the drop on her side of the canyon...I was white knuckled just trying to keep us on the road without a similar occurrence we just passed....going down the canyon I had the trailer brake and J brake on...a few times I was standing on the dually brakes...that was only half the fun...at the bottom a small creek...and then the climb back up....everywhere else they cut into the hills and mountains...this stretch....nope...hold on and keep it on the road.

We safely made it the 10 miles...and watched as every fire department vehicle....Sherriff's vehicle and ambulance vehicle passed us in the opposite direction....I dread what the alternative would have been for us it that Ranger had not let us pass....remember we were already one mile onto a no shoulder road....



A short hour later we pulled into the Mt. Rushmore KOA...this place is like a resort.....there is everything for kids to do,



a climbing wall






...basket ball court,













Swoooooshhhhh!!!!!

.. two pools...mini putt...and so on...etc.

We set up...a nice spot at the back of a 700+ campground....did I mention horse back riding.....?









It has been a long day...I suggest we hit town and go out for dinner...Hill City...very nice.... obviously close to Sturgis...Magnus let me know about this...in two weeks...a half million motorcycles...and some have already set up shop. This is an annual event...and obviously massive.

After dinner we drove to Mt. Rushmore, we took in the night lighted version...I have trouble describing this place...I would recommend this just as I would the Grand Canyon....mind boggling....the vision, the length of time to produce...and the final product. We are so glad to have experienced this.





We returned to our camp site...just in time for a major down pour...and did it pour....

Leah and I decided we would go in the morning...the children could sleep in....Leah left then a $20....they have a breakfast tent...all you can eat pancakes...$2.50....they did make it before we got back.



Mt. Rushmore was even more spectacular during the day time...





Leah and I took the opportunity and drove approximately half hour down the road to the Crazy Horse Monument.




Equally as impressive, a rock carving...into a granite mountain.....



I did feel this was more of a business venture...the rock looks very similar in 2005 as it does today...when one looks at the feat of Mt. Rushmore back in 1927 until 1941...in our modern times...this looks more like a tourist rip off...(Just my opinion)

This is another area one could spent a week....

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited you guys got to see Mt. Rushmore! I've always wanted to see it! Can't wait to see the pictures when you're back. Stay off cliffs and roads with no shoulders for the rest of the trip please :)

    Love you guys xox
    -Victoria

    ReplyDelete